Thursday, July 23, 2009

Lovin' CSA delivery day!

We signed up for CSA summer delivery from Lucky Field Organics and are loving it! Every week we receive a bag full of beautiful squash, greens, garlic, herbs and we even had fresh bread last week. I love vegetables but many of them are still new to me. I feel foolish asking Winston, the farmer, what some things are, but I really want to learn. One of my goals in trying to be healthier is to eat more greens like chard and kale and all the others I don't know, but I am still learning the different ways to cook them. For dinner last night, I sauteed kale with fresh garlic and natural gso and squeezed lemon over it with a dash of salt before serving. I roasted zucchini as it's one of Oliver's favorites and I also roasted yams which I tossed with maple syrup and butter gso. They tasted like candy! I breaded chicken in whole wheat flour seasoned with scampi, ca garlic pepper and rotisserie blends! I started them on the stove top in a cast iron pan and finished them off in the oven. Dinner was delicious!! Oliver loved the yams and even though he didn't try the kale - I put some on his plate and hope that one day he will!
Happy, healthy cooking!
Jen