Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Busy day? Time for the Slow Cooker!

This is Oliver's first official week in kindergarten and I am trying to get organized. That means meal planning as some days are very hectic. For instance, today we start speech therapy after school. We won't get home until about 5:30 which is a 1/2 hour past when Oliver usually wants to eat dinner. He gets really grumpy when he is hungry just like his Mummy! At first I thought we would go to KooKooRoo, but then I remembered my slow cooker and thought it would be nice to come home to a warm healthy meal and save some money too. So I just threw this together and we'll see how it comes out! I drizzled a little bit of Butter GSO on the bottom of the slow cooker and spread it around. Next I poured 1 cup of jasmine brown rice in, followed by 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth. I put 1 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts on top and sprinkled with some garlic powder. I combined 1 cup of Russian Dressing (the red kind) with 1 package of Absolutely Onion Blend and poured it over the chicken. I started it on high just to get it going and will turn it down to low to cook for several hours. I am hoping for yumminess! I'll post pics and reviews later! UPDATE ~ It was delicious! The brown rice was soft and flavorful from the sauce, the chicken just fell apart - no knife needed. I think I would figure out how to add veggies next time, maybe broccoli, so it can be a one pot meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment