Thursday, November 24, 2011

Fall is in the Air


Fall is one of my favorite seasons. Apple picking, pumpkin patches, cider mills, lingering warm sunny days, chilly nights, and the smell of wood stoves start to fill the crisp, cool air. I look forward to making hearty soups, stews and roasts and baking apple crisp, pumpkin pie and mulling cider. I cannot even put into words how much I miss the incredible landscape back home in New England at this time of year. It is a sight to behold that no picture or painting can capture. The soft, rolling hills look like they have been painted in a vibrant wash of golds, greens, reds and oranges. Fall also reminds me that football has returned, hot cocoa can be shared on a chilly evening, warm clothes can be brought out of hiding and festive, holiday times are ahead. It is a time to reflect, appreciate and be thankful for all that we have and most importantly, all that we need...family!

Speaking of Thanksgiving...

So many people believe there was a first Thanksgiving that originated with the Pilgrims & Wampanoag at Plimoth Plantation. I'm sorry to burst that American myth, but it's just not true. There was celebration to give thanks for a bountiful harvest and I like to think that this Native American tradition is the root of what we call Thanksgiving today. I only wish settlers had given native people the same respect they so beautifully gave to Mother Nature...but that's a story for a different day. If you would like to learn more about the origins of Thanksgiving please visit Plimoth Plantation.

Now on to the food, one of my favorite parts of the holiday season.

Thanksgiving in our house has become a gluten free, dairy free, egg free, yeast free adventure. Some may think our family isn't able to enjoy all the bounty of a Thanksgiving Feast, but I am here to say it can be done! From stuffing to mashed potatoes to pumpkin pie, we cooked it all, devoured it and savored every morsel. And it was all allergen free!

Don't give up if you have food allergies or sensitivities, there are so many wonderful resources out there for us. Wildtree products are one of them. From a certified Gluten Free line to a an entire product line that is 100% peanut-free as well as food dye, MSG and HFCS free. Wildtree makes grocery shopping a little less scary!

Here are a few other places I found helpful for my Thanksgiving cooking...
Gluten Free Stuffing (I made some adjustments)

Gluten Free, Vegan Pumpkin Pie

Gluten Free Thanksgiving Recipes & Tips 2011

 How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food by Mark Bittman (I used his version for Creamed Onions)

No comments:

Post a Comment