Monday, October 10, 2011

Freezer Meal to the Rescue!

Life has been turned topsy-turvy! 

For 2 1/2 months this summer we lived an idyllic life on a small island where the only vehicle you drive is a golf cart, where there are no strip malls, billboards, restaurants (except for a pizza joint or brunch at the Fishing Club) or hotels (except for the Fishing Club or the Avalon), where the only traffic are the boats in the channel and the line up at the ice cream shop. 

It's a place where life is simply wonderful and wonderfully simple.

When we return to Los Angeles (three days before school begins), we have a time change, culture shock and an empty kitchen to deal with. Personally, if we didn't have to adjust to a 3 hour time change, I would come back the day before school starts. Needless to say it's not an easy transition for me. Oliver seems to handle it without a hitch, but I long for those beautiful days of summer.

Did I mention the empty kitchen? My husband is wonderful and makes sure we have something to drink and snack on, but there are no fixin's for dinner. I was happily surprised to find a freezer meal from my last workshop in my freezer and it was a sweet sight to behold. I actually managed to pull off a delicious dinner on a night we had just returned. Oliver devoured it and wants me to make it again - I'd say that's a victory for any Mum in the kitchen!

Cactus Pete’s Oven Baked BBQ Chicken

In freezer bag combine:
 4-6 chicken breasts
1 TBSP Rodeo Rub
1 TBSP Rotisserie Chicken Blend
1 TBSP Garlic & Herb Blend
2 TBSP Natural GSO
3/4 cup Cactus Pete's Agave BBQ Sauce
1/2 cup plain yogurt

Store in your freezer until the night before you plan to cook it. Defrost the bag in the fridge overnight.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake the chicken in a Deep Baker until thoroughly cooked. Thicker chicken breasts will take longer. Turn chicken over halfway through. Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed broccolini.

No comments:

Post a Comment