Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Nutritional Nuggets from Mom-a-licious!

My son has never been a typical kid eater in that he doesn't like mac & cheese, hot dogs, carrots or ketchup. His favorites have included fish, asparagus, butternut squash, meatballs and my homemade red sauce. It sounds good, but believe me when I say I struggle too! He won't eat most fruits and he would like to live off of crackers, bread, cookies and ice cream. He has discovered chicken tenders or nuggets when we are at a restaurant - and to be honest I oftentimes don't even tell him when they are on the menu as I know he will eat something healthier. And now I have discovered a really easy and completely nutritious way to make chicken nuggets at home. I found the recipe in the Mom-a-licious cookbook, Wildtree-ized it and they were a huge hit!
I served them with Roasted Swiss Chard and Risotto.

 
Nutritional Nuggets
4 half chicken breasts or 2 whole ones
1 cup breadcrumbs (I used Panko but you could also use a whole wheat version)
4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
3 Tbsp Wildtree's Roasted Garlic Grapeseed Oil
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix the breadcrumbs, yeast, oil and parmesan cheese in a bowl. The recipe calls for pounding the chicken first and then cutting into strips - I just cut it into strips! Coat the chicken with the breadcrumb mixture and place on Large Bar Pan. Cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
 
To order your Roasted Garlic Grapeseed Oil or any other Wildtree groceries, please go to www.jenwarr.mywildtree.com.

1 comment:

  1. You are my hero. My extremely picky, brand specific (Tyson-bites), chicken nugget loving daughter devoured these. I cut the yeast in half to be on the safe side but would add more next time. Will also double the recipe to freeze. I will never buy Tyson again!

    ReplyDelete