Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lamb Curry

During a recent stay in New York City, we enjoyed a most delicious lamb curry from Dean+Deluca...one of my favorite food places in the city! I always find ingredients there that I've encountered on my travels and never thought I'd see again such as Wilkin & Son Tiptree Little Scarlet Preserve - some of the tastiest strawberry jam that I discovered in London. I could literally eat it by the spoonful! Dean+Deluca also bakes some amazing brioche and serves a delicious hot cocoa. Back to the curry...I never intended for my 6 year old son to eat it - but he devoured it! So I decided to make some back home in Los Angeles. My version was a little too spicy for him so next time I will tone down the spice, but boy was it good!

1 1/2 lbs lamb (I used boneless roast cut into cubes)
Wildtree Garlic GSO (in case you forgot...GSO = Grapeseed Oil)
2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
1/2 large onion (peeled and chopped)
1 celery stalk (chopped)
1 large potato peeled and cubed
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
salt to taste
1 bay leaf
1 TBSP Wildtree Korma Curry or Curried Garlic Blend (add more if you like)
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 cups beef stock or water

Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat, add the lamb and brown in batches. Remove and set aside. Reduce heat to medium, add onion, garlic and ginger to pan and cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes. Add curry and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Return lamb to pan, add stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the potato, carrot and coconut milk and cook for a further 25 minutes.

Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment