Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dinner Plans Gone Awry


I had the best of intentions to roast a chicken for dinner tonight...but the fun we were having with friends down on the ferry dock took precedence and dinner plans were scrapped.

It would have been the perfect night to head to the island's only dinner restaurant (a delicious pizza joint) but sadly they do not serve gluten free, dairy free options so it was back to the kitchen to come up with another plan.

It would have also been a great night to eat breakfast for dinner - an old favorite of ours. But we are egg free and had eaten our share of pancakes earlier in the day.

I could feel the Jeckyl/Hyde switch happening in my son...he becomes a beast when he's hungry (just like his mama)! I had to think quick...there were not many options...but there were a few things in the fridge and I managed to scrap together a tasty dinner.

I picked some fresh Lebanese squash (see picture above) and diced it, sliced some onion, and cut up a chicken breast. I heated a cast iron skillet (one of my favorite pans to cook in) over medium heat with Wildtree's Garlic Grapeseed Oil, added all the ingredients to the pan and liberally sprinkled them with Wildtree's Italian Salad Dressing Mix (a dry blend) and a dash of apple cider vinegar. I let them cook til they were soft and brown and a crust was forming in the pan - the tastiest tidbits around! Served it over mashed potatoes that were leftover from another night (always make extra mashed potatoes!).

Wildtree did it again - a tasty meal in minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment